The Role of Multi-Detector Computed Tomography in Assessment of Chron’s Disease Progression: A Cross-sectional Study

Document Type : Original Article

Authors

1 Department of Radiology, Faculty of Medicine for Girls, Al-Azhar University, Egypt

2 Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine for Girls, Al-Azhar University, Egypt

3 Department of Hepatogastroentrology and Infectious Diseases, Faculty of Medicine for Girls, Al-Azhar University, Egypt

10.21608/ijma.2021.56535.1240

Abstract

Background:There is a lack of information regarding the correlation between multi-detector computed tomography [MDCT] findings and clinical activity of Chron’s disease.
The aim of the work: In this study, we aimed to investigate the correlation between MDCT and the degree of activity of Chron’s disease [CD].
Patients and Methods: In this prospective study, a total of 50 patients with CD were recruited The disease activity was assessed using the Crohn's Disease Activity Index [CDAI]. For MDCT evaluation, we used 256 Multislice CT scanners [Toshiba Medical System, Tochigi-ken, Japan].
Results: Forty-five patients [90%] showed signs of activity, while the other five patients [10%] were in the remission state [showed no signs of activity]. The most common sign of activity was mucosal hyper enhancement [93.3%], followed by mucosal thickening [91%], mesenteric congestion [64.4%], and mesenteric lymphadenopathy [33.3%].  The association analysis showed that there was a statistically significant association between CDAI and signs of activity in MDCT [360 ±64.5 in patients with signs of activity vs. 206.9 ±145.6 in patients with no signs of activity; p <0.001]. In addition, there were statistically significant associations between CDAI and presence of complications and extra-intestinal involvement [p >0.05].
Conclusion: Our study showed that the findings of MDCT are significantly correlated with clinical activity score. Clinical and radiological predictors of sever disease need to be assessed as predictors in future studies

Keywords